Safety in Your Home

Fires can be hazardous, and it is essential you know how to be safe when around one.

Traditional fires are a beautiful asset to your home; however, they need to be looked after.


Smoke Alarm

A smoke alarm is a legal home requirement and must be connected.

Check your smoke alarm works annually to minimise the risk to you and your family. The smoke alarm detects traces of smoke and informs you when there is some. This making you aware of a fire! Remember that it won’t prevent or stop the fire, it will just let you know about it.

If you’re looking for something to help prevent the fire, you can get sprinklers. These will connect to the smoke alarm, and when it detects smoke, the sprinklers will go off to put the fire out.


Carbon Monoxide Alarm

Carbon monoxide is a deadly gas and isn’t noticeable. If you have a fireplace, make sure you also have a carbon monoxide alarm. This will inform you of any carbon monoxide that may be in the air. Ensure you check that it works on an annual basis and around every 5-7 years have it replaced.


Fire Extinguisher

Having a fire extinguisher in your home may seem a bit over the top, but with fire, it’s better to be safe than sorry! A small fire extinguisher by the fireplace will be handy just in case things get out of control.


Fire Proof Gloves

As we are all aware, fire is very hot! When placing logs in the fire ensure that you have the correct personal protective equipment. For real fires, this will involve fireproof gloves. These gloves resist heat and do not catch fire, making them the ultimate tool for keeping you safe.


Use a Fireguard

A fireguard is an excellent tool for fire safety. If you have pets or young children, it will be a great way of protecting them from the fire. The guard is a small fence that goes around the fire to stop it getting out of control or to stop pets or children from touching it.


Type of Wood

It’s commonly known that manufactured firelogs burn hotter than wood. Manufactured firelogs may be beneficial as they produce more heat; however, this makes them more dangerous. Make sure you read the instructions on the packet, so you don’t overheat your fireplace.   


Don’t Leave the Fire Unattended

It is recommended that you don’t leave a fire unattended. This is purely for safety reasons. Even an enclosed fire should be monitored as fire is very unpredictable and can get out of control quickly. Be sure to keep an eye on it!